Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pioneer Square art walk


Remember when you were a kid and you got a quarter from your mom to spend in the vending machine at the grocery store? I sure do. It was a rare treat and I still remember the excitement of hearing that little plastic container drop into the slot and the clink of the little metal door as I grabbed my prize and despite my mom’s warnings of future dental damage, I would frantically pop the lid off with my teeth. Then there was that split second of excited anticipation, wondering if I got the coveted sterling-silver-like ID bracelet (of which there were probably only one or two placed in the whole west coast vending machine circuit) or the very disappointing adjustable tin heart ring, which pinched your finger and left it green.

That moment of the unknown, that exhilaration and anticipation is what I feel these days as I wander the art galleries of the Northwest. Never knowing if the next gallery is holding a hidden jewel or a tarnished dud. And, of course, this is a very personal experience. One person’s silver-like ID bracelet is another’s person’s pot metal adjustable ring.

One of my favorite ways to visit local galleries and hunt for artistic treasures is by frequenting the various art walks around our area, my favorite being the first Thursday Pioneer Square Art Walk, which was one of the first in the country and was started by a small group of art dealers in 1981. Over 50 galleries currently participate and display a variety of art from full length knitted body suits (Greg Kucera Gallery) to a 3-foot pink mascara tube (Pacini Lubel Gallery). In addition to the galleries there are coffee shops and eateries that offer up art for your viewing pleasure as well.

This past month, as usual, we started our Pioneer Square adventure by hopping off the bus and heading down Jackson Street to the Zeitgeist Coffee shop, My husband ordered up his Americano and my Cappuccino as I wandered over to take a peak at the months art offering. Do I think it is a prize? Well truly art is in the eye of the beholder but I thought it was fascinating. I encourage you to come to the 1st Thursday Pioneer Square Art Walk and decide for yourself.


1 comment:

  1. I really love your writing. You should do it more often! Are you painting?

    ReplyDelete